The Master of Science in Finance Programme at the University of Macau is taught by the international staff of the Faculty of Business Administration. It is designed as a series of skill-building courses and character-broadening experiences. Success in modern finance cannot be possible without solid grasp in analytical skills, our programme is intended to equip the students with demanding quantitative and research skills required in today’s finance.
The intention is to offer an opportunity to qualified students who also have strong mathematical background to study an advanced degree in Finance. In addition, students who are in pursuit of higher academic qualifications would be equipped with research capability.
The MSc Finance Programme is designed to equip graduates with advanced knowledge in Finance for
(i) career in the financial industry or finance related section of major corporations in in the commercial gaming, real estates, and insurance industries in Macao and the Greater China,
(ii) preparing the Chartered Financial Analysis (CFA) or Certified Financial Planners (CFP) professional examinations, and
(iii) competitive entry into top regional and international finance PhD Programmes.
The normal duration of the programme would be two years for full-time students. In the first year, (1) six core courses, (2) three finance elective courses, and (3) one management elective course should be completed. Guest speakers from university and businesses will be arranged to deliver latest academic thinking and current business practice in regularly held seminars. Emphasis is out on consolidating strong finance foundation and mathematical skills applied to finance. A management elective is included because successful business careers can rarely be achieved without knowledge in management. Adding one management elective helps equip students with a minimalist managerial mindset.
An exceptional feature that distinguishes our MSc programme from most programmes of other universities is the thesis component. Given this, courses will be structured and designed to link taught materials with motivation of independent research thinking wherever possible. For instance, research techniques and methodologies as well as the basics of journal paper reading and writing will be discussed in various courses.
- This programme aims at offering students the appropriate skills:
a) To meet the need for advanced level professional in finance because of the rapid development of industries such as real estate, banking, insurance and gaming, and so on;
b) To prepare students to take professional qualifications such as Chartered Finance Analysis (CFA) or Certified Financial Planners (CFP); and
c) To prepare students to apply top regional and international doctoral programmes in finance.
- Admission Requirement
Admission is open to applicants who hold bachelor degrees from accredited institutions in any area of undergraduate studies.
Applicants should have achieved the equivalent* of GPA 2.8 or above in the Bachelor’s degree studies.
*The equivalent means 75-77 out of 100.
Other admission requirements will be in accordance with the University Admission Regulations on Master’s Degree. Please refer to the website of the Graduate School for more details.
– Bachelor degrees in finance, economics, applied mathematics, applied science, statistics, computer science, engineering, or other quantitative fields are preferable.
– For this programme, an additional result of GRE or GMAT is preferable.
- Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction in this Programme at the University of Macau is English, although, on occasion, some invited guest speakers may deliver their lectures in Cantonese or Putonghua (Mandarin).
- Course Time & Venue
This Programme runs for 2 years. The course work runs for one academic year, and students are normally given until the end of the 4th semester to complete their theses. Classes will be held on the University of Macau campus on weekday evenings (7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.), and on Saturday afternoons, if necessary, or on weekends for specially designated courses.
- For admitted in Academic Year 2019/2020 (B9 intake) and onward
- For admitted in Academic Year 2018/2019 (B8 intake)
- For admitted in Academic Year 2016/2017 (B6 intake) and Academic Year 2017/2018 (B7 intake)
- For admitted in Academic Year 2014/2015 (B4 intake) and 2015/2016 (B5 intake)
- For admitted in Academic Year 2013/2014 (B3 intake) or before
For Intakes on 2018/2019 (M-B8-XXXX-X students)
|MSc in Finance Programme||Lecture Schedule||Textbook Information|
For Intakes on 2019/2020 (M-B9-XXXX-X students)
For Intakes on 2018/2019 (M-B8-XXXX-X students)
For Intakes on 2017/2018 (M-B7-XXXX-X students)
For Intakes on 2016/2017 (M-B6-XXXX-X students)
For Intakes on 2015/2016 (M-B5-XXXX-X students)
- General Framework of Project Report
- General Framework of Applied Thesis
- General Framework of Academic Thesis
- Thesis Topic and Proposal Form
- Thesis Declaration Form
- Classification (for 2014 intakes and onwards)
- Classification Guidelines (for 2013 intakes or before)
- Sample Thesis Cover (Final Version)
- Graduation Requirement Self-Check (for students of 2014 and 2015 intakes)
- Graduation Requirement Self-Check (for students of 2016 intake and onwards)