The Master of Science in Finance Programme at the University of Macau was launched in 2011 and taught by the internationally recognized scholars of the Faculty of Business Administration. It is designed as a series of skill-building courses and character-broadening experiences. The intention of the programme is to offer an opportunity to qualified students who also have strong mathematical background to study an advanced degree in Finance. In addition, students who are in pursuit of higher academic qualifications would be equipped with research capability.
Our focus on quantitative skills can prepare students for both work and further study. Courses will be structured and designed to link taught materials with motivation of independent thinking. There are industry related courses in areas such as banking and corporate finance, and also courses related to research methods to enhance research skills of students. We also provide Financial Technology related course, covering topics in FinTech financing, financial innovations, and etc. In addition, our programme maintains a good relationship with CFA institute as some of our faculty members are Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA) and our BSc in Finance is recognized by CFA Institute under its University Affiliation Programme.
The current Programme Coordinator is Professor Hung Wan KOT.
- Rigorous academic training with a focus on Macau and the Greater Bay Area. One unique feature of our Programme design is to nurture more finance professionals for Macao and promote economic diversification in the city.
- Sharing from Industry Experts. To bridge the textbook theories with real world, the Programme invites senior practitioners from financial institutions to share their knowledge and views in the classroom. Starting the first semester of the 2019/2020 academic year, senior executives of the Bank of China (Macau Branch) start to deliver guest lectures on financial services in Macao to both undergraduate and postgraduate students at UM.
- World-class study and living environment. The UM and FBA provides world class facilities to students to study in our beautiful campus. Our facilities include Thomson Reuters Trading Room, Finance and Economics Laboratory, Currency Museum, etc. For more facilities in FBA, please visit here.
- Mixed mode of full-time and part-time students. All full-time and part-time students are study together in working day nights, provide a better interaction among students to learn from each other.
To cultivate financial talents with international competitiveness for financial innovation and economy diversification in Macau and the Greater Bay Area.
- To equip graduates with advanced knowledge in finance for career in the financial industry or finance related section of major corporations in the commercial gaming, real estates, and insurance industries in Macao and the Greater China.
- Help students to prepare the Chartered Financial Analysis (CFA) or Certified Financial Planners (CFP) professional examinations.
- Assist students to enter top regional and international finance PhD Programmes through rigorous training in courses and thesis/project report writing.
The normative study period of MSc in Finance programme would be two years for full-time students. Students are required to complete four compulsory courses, six elective courses, and project report writing within regulated timeframe for graduation. The medium of instruction in this programme is English, all lectures are normally held on weekday evenings.
Admission is open to applicants who hold bachelor degrees from accredited institutions in any area of undergraduate studies. Applicants should have achieved the GPA 2.8 (equivalent to 75-77 out of 100) or above in the Bachelor’s degree studies. Bachelor degrees in finance, economics, applied mathematics, applied science, statistics, computer science, engineering, or other quantitative fields are preferable. An additional result of GRE or GMAT is preferable.
Other admission requirements will be in accordance with the University Admission Regulations on Master’s Degree. Please refer to the website of the Graduate School for more details.
In 2021/2022 academic year, the deadline of early admission is 15th Oct, 2020 and the deadline of regular admission is 26th Feb, 2021.
You need to submit your application through the Online Application System and detailed application procedures can be found at https://grs.um.edu.mo/index.php/prospective-students/how-to-apply/.
For 2020 intake
Total applications: 745 (452 in 1st choices)
Number of registered students: 29
Average CET6 score: 528.1
Average IETLS score: 6.75
Ratio of local vs non-local students: 10:19
Ratio of female vs male students: 18:11
Ratio of fresh graduates vs non-fresh graduates: 18: 11
Major of first degree
List of some undergraduate Universities
- Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Chinese University of Hong Kong (PhD)
- City University of Macau
- Fudan University
- Guangdong University of Foreign Studies
- Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics
- Jinan University
- Nankai University
- Macau University of Science and Technology
- Tongji University
- University of Macau
- University of Minnesota
- University of Sheffield
- University of Washington
- Zhejiang University
- Zhongnan University of Economics and Law
Deng Jie, Jane, B0 intake, Assistant Professor at Xiamen University
|I studied in MSc finance program at University of Macau, and then pursued my PhD degree at the City University of Hong Kong. Now I am an Assistant Professor at Xiamen University.
Pursuing a graduate degree at MSc in Finance was one of the best decisions I have ever made. As an internationally competitive postgraduate program, MSc in Finance not only offers fascinating postgraduate courses, but also provides a favorable environment and comprehensive training for students who are interested in research. During my postgraduate study here, my supervisor Professor Adrian Lei inspired me to embark on research career, and with his patient guidance and encouragement, I learnt important research methodologies and critical thinking that still benefit me a lot today in conducting research work.
The professors at MSc in Finance were very approachable – I can’t forget Professor Susan Ren, Professor Lewis Tam and a lot of professors who were always ready to help with whatever question I had. Thanks to the excellent and helpful faculty, the amazing learning facilities and the plenty of extra-curricular activities at MSc in Finance, I had an enjoyable postgraduate study journey full of knowledge and fun. I will always be grateful to MSc in Finance for my education and a wonderful experience.
Karena, Lei Ka In, A9 intake, Associate Wealth Management Director, AIA International Limited
|Facing the rapid changing business society, keeping pace with the times and self-study become particularly important. With high confidence in the faculty and curriculum of the University of Macau (UM), I chose to pursue a master’s degree in finance at UM after obtained my bachelor degree.
In addition to the advanced professional knowledge and practical skills, the course design and content of MSc in Finance also help students develop analytical skills and upgrade their critical thinking levels. These skills are very important for my daily management and perform analysis for clients. The MSc in Finance course provides an excellent platform for students to get to know outstanding talents from different regions and industries and to expand their international vision. These will be valuable life experiences.
Tommy Ka Chon LEI, B3 intake, Assistant Manager at Sands China
|MSc in Finance programme is challenging but very useful. This program helps me to strengthen finance theory, mathematics, statistics and analytical skill, which makes me to be more competitive in job market after graduated. The courses in this program covers most of the concept in CFA exams. I completed all CFA required exams (level 1, 2, 3) easily after joining this program. If students want to be more competitive and plan to pursue CFA designation, I strongly recommend to join this program.|
Jean Jingying Zhao, B7 intake, PhD student in Finance at University of Macau
|As a Ph.D. student, the curriculum of Master of Finance in the University of Macau is rigorous and reasonable, which has laid a solid foundation for my academic career. At the same time, most of the students have passed the CFA Level I examination and found an ideal career development path. The FBA professors are kind and friendly, and the students help each other. I spent two years of unforgettable master’s study life here.|
Donglun Wu, B7 intake, Relationship Manager at ChinaTrust Commercial Bank
|I decided to enter the MSc in Finance programme at the University of Macau (UM) after worked three years. At that time, I felt that my career was facing a bottleneck and I wanted to improve myself through further study. The open teaching atmosphere at UM and strong academic background of professors attracted me. The graduation thesis also allows me to apply what I have learned to practice. I am glad that I can met experienced professors and students with diverse backgrounds. The MSc in Finance programme has given me more choices and possibilities for my career, which will benefit me all my life.|
MSc in Finance students were nominated as recipients for Luso International Bank Scholarship and Bank of China Scholarship
With the highest CGPA as of academic year 2019/2020, MSc in Finance students Mr. Luman YU and Ms. Jingjing CUI were nominated as recipients for Luso International Bank Scholarship and Bank of China Scholarship respectively to recognize their outstanding academic performance among FBA master students.
UM MSc in Finance programme welcomed 2020 class at the Orientation and Faculty Briefing for the 2020/2021 academic year
Prof. Kot introduced MSc in Finance programme to new students
UM MSc in Finance programme welcomed 2020 class at the Orientation and Faculty Briefing for the 2020/2021 academic year. Prof. Guoqiang LI, Head of Department of Finance and Business Economics and Prof. Hung Wan KOT, Programme Coordinator of Finance delivered a welcome speech and briefing introduction of the programme to our new students respectively. For 2020 intake, there are 29 registered students and 19 of them are non-local students. Most of them received bachelor’s degree at renowned universities including Fudan University, Zhejiang University, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Nankai University, Tongji University, University of Minnesota, University of Sheffield, University of Washington, etc.
- For admitted in Academic Year 2021/2022 (C1 intake) and onward
- For admitted in Academic Year 2020/2021 (C0 intake)
- For admitted in Academic Year 2019/2020 (B9 intake)
- For admitted in Academic Year 2018/2019 (B8 intake)
- For admitted in Academic Year 2016/2017 (B6 intake) and Academic Year 2017/2018 (B7 intake)
- For admitted in Academic Year 2014/2015 (B4 intake) and 2015/2016 (B5 intake)
- For admitted in Academic Year 2013/2014 (B3 intake) or before
|MSc in Finance Programme||Lecture Schedule||Textbook Information|
For Intakes on 2021/2022 (M-C1-XXXX-X students)
For Intakes on 2020/2021 (M-C0-XXXX-X students)
For Intakes on 2019/2020 (M-B9-XXXX-X students)
For Intakes on 2018/2019 (M-B8-XXXX-X students)
For Intakes on 2017/2018 (M-B7-XXXX-X students)
For Intakes on 2016/2017 (M-B6-XXXX-X students)
For Intakes on 2015/2016 (M-B5-XXXX-X students)
- General Framework of Project Report
- General Framework of Applied Thesis
- General Framework of Academic Thesis
- Notes and Workflow for Project Report
- Thesis Topic and Proposal Form
- Thesis Declaration Form
- Classification (for 2014 intakes and onwards)
- Classification Guidelines (for 2013 intakes or before)
- Sample Thesis Cover (Final Version)
- Graduation Requirement Self-Check
1. Can (part-time) students apply to stay in student dormitory?
Due to PGH limited bed spaces, the University ensures bed spaces for the new non-local students in their first year of study in postgraduate programmes. The PGH applications of the other grades of postgraduate students may not be approved, particularly for those whose programmes of study are beyond the normal study period. The Student Resources Section allocates bed spaces according to the bed spaces allocation priority sequence stated in the PGH Rules. For details regarding PGH eligibility requirements, bed spaces allocation priority sequence, application procedures, fees and charges, rules and etc., please visit the Student Resources Section – Student Housing website.
2. What’s the maximum duration for study?
The maximum period of studies will be 150% of the normative period of the programme. For working students, it will be two times the normative period of the programme.
3. Can I transfer from other master Programmes to MSc Finance Programme?
Students cannot change major in the specified years of study. However, any special request may be considered by the Dean and Director of the academic unit concerned on a case-by-case basis.
4. Does the Programme offer internship opportunities?
MSc in Finance programme does not offer any internship course. However, students may join the internship programs arranged by the Career Development Centre of Student Affairs Office.
5. Can I exchange to other Universities?
For details of FBA Outgoing Exchange Programme, please refer to https://fba.um.edu.mo/exchange-programme/outgoing-students/
6. Will all applicants be interviewed?
Every year we received a large number of applications, only shortlisted applicants will be interviewed.
7. Where will the interview be held?
Most likely, non-local students will be interviewed via Zoom or other online platforms, while local students will be interviewed in our campus in person.