Prof. Glenn James MCCARTNEY
Associate Professor in Integrated Resort and Tourism Management
Associate Dean (Curriculum & Teaching) of Faculty of Business Administration
Faculty of Business Administration
University of Macau, E22
Avenida da Universidade, Taipa, Macau, China
- Ph.D. in Tourism Marketing, University of Surrey, UK, 2006
- American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute (Certified Hospitality Educator), 2004
- Dip. Social Science Research Methods, Inter-University Institute of Macau, 2003
- Dip. Law (Co.), University of Wolverhampton, UK, 1996
- BA (Hons) Business Studies, University of Teesside , UK , 1992
- MBE. Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, June 2016
- Undergraduate Courses
- Hotel and Resort Management (GAHM308)
- Conventional and Exhibition Management (GAHM305)
- Festival and Event Management (GAHM410)
- Convention and Hospitality Management Internship I (GAHM424)
- Convention and Hospitality Management Internship II (GAHM425)
- Postgraduate Courses
- Introduction to International Integrated Resort Management (HAGM710)
- Event and Entertainment Management (HAGM731)
- Meetings, Conventions, Incentives and Exhibition Management (HAGM730)
- Casino marketing
- Destination image and branding
- Event management/event tourism
- Tourism management
- McCartney G. (2020). The impact of the coronavirus outbreak on Macao. From tourism lockdown to tourism recovery, Current Issues in Tourism
- McCartney G., & Cheong, S. M. K. (2020). Batman Rides Again! The impact of a superhero branded attraction on visitation to a casino resort hotel in Macao, Event Management, 24(4), 515-526.
- McCartney G. (2019). Securing Chinese mass market visitation to Cotai’s Integrated Resorts (IRs). Determinants of gaming and non-gaming attributes that influence IR selection, Tourism and Hospitality Research
- McCartney, G. (2019). Taxing tourists to manage mass tourism: A case study of Macao, Current Issues in Tourism.
- McCartney, G., & Chen, Y. (2019). Co-creation tourism in an ancient Chinese town, 中国古镇里的体验共创旅游 Journal of China Tourism Research, 16(2), 159-182.
- McCartney G., & Mihara, T. (2018). Japanese Casino & IR (Integrated Resort) Legislation & Framework. An Analysis of Key Social, Economic and Tourism Assertions, Gaming Law Review & Economics, 22(8), 441-451.
- McCartney, G., & Ip, D. S. K. (2018). Art festival attendance: Who attends and why with implications on developing future festival attractiveness, Journal of Convention & Event Tourism, 19(3) 268-285.
- McCartney, G., & Pao, C. P. R. (2018). An examination of Sino Weibo travel blogs influence on sentiment towards hotel accommodation in Macao, Journal of China Tourism Research, 14(2), 146-157.
- McCartney, G & Leong, M. W.V. (2017). An examination of the impact of green impressions by delegates towards a trade show. Journal of Convention & Event Tourism, 19(1), 25-43.
- McCartney, G. & Zhu, Y. G. (2016). An examination of the pull and push factors influencing on hotel selection by Chinese outbound travelers, International Journal of Tourism Sciences, 16(1-2), 41-59.
- McCartney, G.(2016). Play the cards, roll the dice – the integration of casinos within Asian tourism destination development strategy, UNLV Gaming Research & Review Journal, 20(2), 1-21.
- McCartney, G. (2016). How much to a puff? Macao casino smoking ban debate and the implications to Mainland Chinese visitation, Gaming Law Review & Economics, 20(7), 571-579.
- McCartney, G.& Lei ,W. I. W. (2016). House of Cards – An analysis of Macao’s resident support for tourism and casino development, Tourism and Hospitality Research, 16(2), 144-157.
- McCartney, G. (2015). When the eggs in one basket all cracked. Addressing the downturn in Macao’s casino and VIP junket system. Gaming Law Review & Economics, 19(7), 527-537
- McCartney, G. (2015). To be or not to be? Addressing the ethical void in Macao’s tourism and casino development, Tourism Review, 70(2),150-162
- Sou K. I. S., & McCartney, G. (2015). An Assessment of the Human Resources Challenges of Macao’s MICE Industry, Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 14(3), 244-266.
- McCartney, G. (2014). With or without you? Building a case for further MICE (Meetings, Incentive Travel, Conventions, Exhibitions) development in Macao, Journal of Convention & Event Tourism, 15(3), 173-197
- McCartney, G., & Pinto, J. P. (2014). The impact of celebrity endorsement in influencing destination selection on outbound Chinese travelers, Journal of Vacation Marketing, 20(3), 253-266
- McCartney, G. (2014). Get out of Jail! Locked up and detained abroad – when tourists become prisoners, Current Issues in Tourism, 17(7). 561-575.
- McCartney, G., Butler, R., & Bennett, M. M. (2009). Positive tourism image perceptions attract travellers – fact or fiction? The case of Beijing visitors to Macao , Journal of Vacation Marketing, 15(2), 179-193.
- McCartney, G. (2008). The CAT (Casino Tourism) and the MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions, Exhibitions): Key Development Considerations for the Convention and Exhibition industry in Macao , Journal of Convention & Event Tourism, 9(4), 293-308.
- McCartney, G., Butler, R., & Bennett, M. M. (2008). A Strategic Use of the Communication Mix in the Destination Image Formation Process, Journal of Travel Research, 47, 183–196.
- McCartney, G. (2008). Does one culture all think the same? An investigation of destination image perceptions from several origins, Tourism Review, 63(4), 13–26.
- McCartney, G. (2008). Key considerations in adopting tourism as a destination development strategy, Euro Asia Journal of Management, 18(1), 51-61.
- McCartney, G. & Osti L. (2007). From cultural events to sport events: a case study of cultural authenticity in the Dragon Boat Races, Journal of Sport & Tourism, 12(1), 25-40.
- McCartney, G., Nadkarni, S., & Gartner, W. (2006). Macao of Macau ? A case of tourism brand image confusion among Taiwantravellers? Euro Asia Journal of Management, Issue 32, 16(2), 107-135.
- McCartney, G. (2005). The impact of the 50th Macao Grand Prix on Macao’s Destination Image, International Journal of Event Management Research, 1(1), 46-65.
- Vong, F. C. K., & McCartney, G. (2005) Mapping Resident Perceptions of Gaming Impact, Journal of Travel Research, 44. 177-187.
- McCartney, G. (2005). Hosting a recurring mega-event: Visitor raision d’être, Journal of Sport Tourism, 10(2), 113-128.
- McCartney, G. (2005) Casinos as a Tourism Redevelopment Strategy – The Case of Macao , Journal of Macau Gaming Research Association, 2, 40-54.
- McCartney, G. J. (2013). Introduction to Tourism Management: An Asian Perspective, McGraw-Hill Publications.
- McCartney, G. J. (2010). Event Management: An Asian Perspective, McGraw-Hill Education.
- McCartney, G. J. (2008) ‘Introduction to MICE Management – A Training Manual’. Macao Tourism & Casino Career Centre, MacaoSAR Government.
- Robinson, T., McCartney, G. J. & Lempert, Z. S. (2002) ‘Gearing Up for International Tourism’, Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) with Hangshou Tourism Commission, China . PATA Thailand.
- Book chapters
- McCartney, G. J. (2017). ‘Accommodation and MICE’, in R. Wood (Ed.), Hotel Accommodation Management, Routledge Hospitality Essentials Series, 110-125. Companion website: https://www.routledge.com/cw/wood
- McCartney, G. J. (2017). ‘Managing accommodation in Integrated Resorts’, in R. Wood (Ed.), Hotel Accommodation Management, Routledge Hospitality Essentials Series, 94-109. Companion website: https://www.routledge.com/cw/wood
- McCartney, G. J. (2017). ‘Betting on Casino Tourism Resilience: a Case Study of Casino Expansion in Macao and the Asia Region, in R. W. Butler (Ed.) Tourism and Resilience, CAB International, 195-205.
- McCartney, G. J. (2017). ‘Events within Asia’s Integrated Resorts’ in Harris, J. & Wise, N. (Eds), Regeneration, Events, Sport & Tourism, Contemporary Geographies of Leisure, Tourism and Mobility, Routledge: London, 134-146.
- McCartney, G. J. (2010). ‘Stanley Ho Hung-sun: The ‘King of Gambling’ in Butler, R. & Russel, R. (Eds), Giants of Tourism, CABI Publishing.
- McCartney, G. J. (2010). ‘The Implications and Effects of the Handover of Colonies – Macau’ in Butler, R. & Wantanee, S. (Eds), Tourism and Political Change, Goodfellow Publishers, UK.
- McCartney, G. J. (2006) ‘Casino Gambling in Macao: Through Legalisation to Liberalisation’, in Hsu, C.H.C. (Ed), Casino Industry in Asia Pacific: Development, Operation, and Impact, New York: Haworth Hospitality Press, 37-58.