Macau has been undergoing rapid economic development in the recent years, especially since the opening of the gaming monopoly in 2002. As an economy which is attracting more and more foreign investors, Macau needs to adhere to broadly accepted international standards and principles of law, transparency, and accountability. In order words, there is a need for high level training in the area of accounting, incorporating education in business ethics, corporate governance, accountability and corporate social responsibility.
Furthermore, there is now an urgent need for high level professionals who possess advanced accounting knowledge in IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards) and IAS (International Accounting Standards). In fact, effective 1st January 2007, China has adopted 39 ASBE (Accounting Standards for Business Enterprise), which are equivalent to IAS. At the same time, Macau has also adopted 15 IAS. At such a time of standards convergence, local professional accountants have a strong demand for advanced systematic learning of the latest international accounting knowledge.
The Master of Science (MSc) in Accounting Programme aims at catering the emerging needs of high-level professionals who possess advanced accounting knowledge in International Financial Accounting Standards (IFRS) and International Accounting Standards (IAS). The curriculum is accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) of UK and the CPA Australia.
- To integrate theoretical knowledge with practical applications to enhance decision-making and corporate strategy formulation skills
- To significantly deepen knowledge in the latest international accounting standards, business ethics, corporate governance and corporate social responsibility
- To offer a springboard towards gaining first-class professional accounting qualification
- To provide a platform for professional experience sharing and networking
- To train up research capability and skill
- Admission Requirement
Admission will be in accordance with the Admission Regulations Governing Master’s Degree & Postgraduate Certificates/Diploma Programmes of the University. Non-accounting and non-business graduates are also eligible for application. Applicants are required to provide a testimonial of English as the medium of instruction issued by their undergraduate university or TOEFL, IELTS or CET6 scores as a proof of English proficiency. Please refer to the website of the Graduate School for more details.
- Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction is English (except for “China Taxation” which may be conducted in Chinese).
- Course Time & Venue
The Master of Science in Accounting Programme consists of 4 consecutive terms of coursework and thesis writing. Students are expected to complete their theses and oral defence within 6 to 12 months after thesis registration. Classes are normally held on the University of Macau campus on weekday evenings (7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.) and occasionally on weekends for specially designated courses and make-up classes.
Click Here for more information about accreditation
- General Framework of Project Report
- General Framework of Academic Thesis
- General Framework of Thesis with Business Application / Applied Thesis
- Proposal Guidelines of Academic Thesis
- Proposal Guidelines of Thesis with Business Application / Applied Thesis
- Classification of Master’s Degree Programmes (For students admitted in academic year 2014/2015 and onwards)
- Thesis Topic and Proposal Form
- Thesis Declaration Form
- Sample Thesis Cover (Final Version)
- Graduation Requirement Self-Check (For accounting bachelor degree holders)
- Graduation Requirement Self-Check (For non-accounting bachelor degree holders)