Prof. Rico Long Wai LAM
Professor in Management
Faculty of Business Administration
University of Macau, E22
Avenida da Universidade, Taipa, Macau, China
- Ph.D., Management, University of Oregon , USA, 1994
- M.B.A., Marketing, Michigan State University, USA, 1990
- B.B.A., Management, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 1987
- Vice President, Asia Academy of Management, 2011-2015.
- Senior Editor, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 2010-Present
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of Trust Research, 2010-Present.
- Undergraduate Courses
- Principles of Management (MGMT102)
- Strategic Management (MGMT317)
- Global Strategic Management (MGMT404)
- Strategic Management of Gaming Industry (GAMM311)
- Postgraduate Courses
- Global Business Strategy (IMBB112)
- Strategic Management in Hospitality Industry (MGMT711)
- PhD Seminar in Research Methods (MGMT800)
- Applied Business Research (GMBA710)
- Best Research Award (Faculty Level), Faculty of Business Administration, University of Macau, 2018.
- Best Teaching Award (Department Level), Faculty of Business Administration, University of Macau, 2017.
- Journal of Organizational Behavior Best Papers Award Published in 2013 – Runner up.
- Beta Gamma Sigma Outstanding Scholar, University of Houston – Clear Lake Chapter, 2000.
- University of Macau’s Research Grant – “Exploring the ‘dark side’ and ‘bright side’ of monitoring at work.” 2019-21.
- University of Macau’s Research Grant – “Personality and Innovation in Organizations.” 2017-19.
- University of Macau’s Research Grant – “Status Quo Bias in Making Decisions.” 2015 and 2016.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong’s Direct Research Grant – “What Happens to Performance and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors after Seeking Feedback?” with C. S. Wong and K.Z. Peng. 2011.
- Hong Kong Research Grant Council Grant – “Felt Trust and Work Performance” with Dora C. Lau. 2010-11.
- Lam, L. W. & Xu, J. 2019, “Power imbalance and employee silence: The role of abusive leadership, power distance orientation, and perceived organizational politics.” Applied Psychology: An International Review. 68(3): 513-546. (doi: 10.1111/apps.12170) (SSCI; ABS3)
- Lam, L. W., Chuang, A., Wong, C. S. & Zhu, J. N. Y. 2019. “A typology of three-way interaction models: Applications and suggestions for Asian management research.” Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 36 (1): 1-16. (DOI: doi.org/10.1007/s10490-018-9577-9) (SSCI; ABS3)
- Tan, A. J. M., Loi, R., Lam, L. W., & Zhang, L. L. 2019 “Do embedded employees voice more?” Personnel Review. 48(3): 824-838. (https://doi.org/10.1108/PR-05-2017-0150) (SSCI; ABS2)
- Zhu, J. N. Y., Lam, L. W., and Lai, J. Y. M. 2019. “Returning good for evil: A study of customer incivility and extra-role customer service.” International Journal of Hospitality Management, 81: 65-72. (SSCI; ABS3)
- Ho, Y., Lam, L. W., Lam, D. 2019. “Gamble more than you want? A study of casino servicescape, perceived control, and unplanned gaming behaviors.” International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31(2): 557-574. (doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-10-2017-0679). (SSCI; ABS3)
- Schaubroeck, J. M., Lam, L. W., Lai, J. Y. M., Lennard, A. C., Peng, A. C., & Chan, K. W. 2018. “Changing Experiences of Work Dirtiness, Occupational Disidentification, and Employee Withdrawal.” Journal of Applied Psychology, 103(10): 1086-1100. (DOI: 10.1037/apl0000330) (SSCI; ABS4*; FT50)
- Bavik, Y. L., Tang, P. M., Shao, R., & Lam, L. W. 2018. “Ethical leadership and employee knowledge sharing: Exploring dual-mediation paths.” Leadership Quarterly. 29: 322-332. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2017.05.006) (SSCI; ABS4)
- Lam, L. W., Xu, J., & Loi, R. 2018. “Is emotional engagement possible for emotionally demanding jobs? The role of leader-member exchange (LMX).” Journal of Personnel Psychology. 17(1): 42- 52. (doi.org/10.1027/1866-5888/a000194) (SSCI; ABS2)
- Lam, L. W., Peng, K. Z., Wong, C. S., & Lau, D. 2017 “Is more feedback seeking always better? LMX moderates the relationship between FSB and performance.” Journal of Management. 43(7): 2195-2217. (DOI: 10.1177/0149206315581661) (SSCI; ABS4*; FT50)
- Chan, I. C. C., Lam, L. W., Chow, C. W. C. Fong, L. H. N., & Law, R. 2017. “The effect of online reviews on hotel booking intention: The role of reader-reviewer similarity.” International Journal of Hospitality Management, 66: 54-65. (SSCI; ABS3)
- Fong, L. H. N., Lam, L. W., & Law, R. 2017. “How locus of control shapes intention to reuse mobile apps for making hotel reservations: Evidence from Chinese consumers.” Tourism Management. 61: 331-342. (DOI: 10.1016/j.tourman.2017.03.002) (SSCI; ABS4)
- Lam, L. W., Liu, Y., & Loi, R. 2016. “Looking intra-organizationally for identity cues: Whether perceived organizational support shapes employees’ organizational identification.” Human Relations. 69(2): 345-367. (DOI:10.1177/0018726715584689) (SSCI; ABS4; FT50)
- Loi, R., Liu, Y., Lam, L. W., & Xu, J. 2016. “Buffering emotional job demands: The interplay between proactive personality and team potency.” Journal of Vocational Behavior. 95: 128-137. (DOI: 10.1016/j.jvb.2016.08.007) (SSCI; ABS4)
- Lam, L. W., Loi, R., & Chan, K. W. 2016 “Voice more and stay longer: How ethical leaders influence employee voice and exit intentions.” Business Ethics Quarterly. 26(3): 277-300. (SSCI; ABS4)
- Zou, H., Chen, X. Y., Lam, L. W., & Liu, X. 2016. “Psychological capital and conflict management in the entrepreneur–venture capitalist relationship in China: The entrepreneur perspective.” International Small Business Journal. 34(4): 446-467. (SSCI; ABS3)
- Xu, A. J., Loi, R. & Lam, L. W. 2015. “The bad boss takes it all: How abusive supervision and leader-member exchange interact to influence employee silence.” Leadership Quarterly. 26: 763-774. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2015.03.002) (SSCI; ABS4)
- Loi, R., Lam, L. W., Ngo, H. Y. & Cheong, S. I. 2015 “Exchange mechanisms between ethical leadership and affective commitment.” Journal of Managerial Psychology. 30: 645-658. DOI 10.1108/JMP-08-2013-0278. (SSCI; ABS3)
- Certified Facilitator, Zenger-Miller Inc., 1995
- Member, The Academy of Management, 1991-Present
- Member, Strategic Management Society, 1991-Present
- “Officials ‘to blame’ for job fears.” Newspaper interview by the South China Morning Post, July 4, 2013.
- “The profession of human resource management.” Invited Presentation on Career Talk by Tertiary Education Service Office (GAES, Gabinete de Apoio ao Ensino Superior), Government of Macau, Nov. 4, 2012.
- “Fewer jobs for HK people in Macau.” Newspaper interview by the South China Morning Post, Oct. 1, 2012.
- “澳門通將接受銀聯閃付卡付費.” Radio Interview by 澳門電台, March 6, 2012
- “Luxury goods consumption by Mainlanders in Macau.” TV interview by TDM English News from 13:08 to 13:45 (http://portugues.tdm.com.mo/evideo.php?vid=6343), Feb. 10, 2012.
- Macau Prime Awards for Service Excellence 2008.” Panel Judge, 2008.
- “Macau Human Resource Forum.” Panel discussant for the American Chamber of Commerce in Macau, 2008.
- “Market Survey on Customer Satisfaction.” Consultancy for Direcção dos Serviços de Regulação de Telecomunicações (Bureau of Telecommunications), Government of Macau, 2007.