Dr. Joseph SY-CHANGCO
Assistant Professor in Marketing
Programme Coordinator of Marketing
Faculty of Business Administration
University of Macau, E22
Avenida da Universidade, Taipa, Macau, China
- Ph.D. in Marketing, Aston Business School, Aston University, United Kingdom. 2007
- MBA, University of the Philippines, Philippines, 1987
- BBA, Marketing, University of the Philippines, Philippines, 1984
- Undergraduate Courses
- Consumer Behavior (MKTG306)
- International Marketing (MKTG410 / MKTG402)
- Advertising and Promotion Management (MKTG443)
- International Business (MKTG404)
- Customer Relationship Managemeent (MKTG430)
- Postgraduate Courses
- Global Business (IMBC128)
- Export Marketing
- Organizational Learning
- Consumer Behavior in the Asia Pacific Region
- Paul Hughes, Anne L. Souchon, Ekaterina Nemkova, Ian R. Hdogkinson, Joao S. Oliveira, Nathaniel Boso, Magnus Hultman, Abena A. Yeboah-Banim, Joseph Sy-Changco, (forthcoming 2019) Quadratic Effects of Dynamic Decision-Making Capability on Innovation Orientation and Performance: Evidence from Chinese Exporter, Industrial Marketing Management.
- Efrat, K, Nemkova, E, Hughes, P, Souchon, AL, Sy-Changco, J (2018) Leveraging Dynamic Export Capabilities for Competitive Advantage and Performance Consequences: Evidence from China, Journal of Business Research, Vol 24, March, 114-124 ISSN: 0148-2963.
- Joseph Sy-Changco, Ramendra Singh, Rizalito Gregorio, Pierre-Xiao Lu, and Geon-Cheol Shin (2016), “Impact of Sales Call Adaptiveness and Customer Willingness on Sales Call Length: A Cross Country Study of India, China, Korea and the Philippines,”Journal of Global Marketing, 29(3), 128-138.
- Hean Tat Keh, Wenbo Ji, Xia Wang, Joseph Sy-Changco and Ramendra Singh, (2015), “Online Movie Ratings, A Cross Cultural Emerging Markets Perspective,”: International Marketing Review, 32(3/4), 366-388.
- Matthew Liu, T., Brock, J., Singh, R., Chu, R., Sy-Changco, J., (2012), What Drives Indian Consumer credit Card Loyalty? The Perspective of Involvement in Reward Programmes, The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 22(4), 365-383.
- Anne L. Souchon, Joseph A. Sy-Changco, Belinda Dewsnap, (2012) “Learning orientation in export functions: impact on export growth”, International Marketing Review, Vol. 29 Iss: 2, 175-202.
- Joseph A. Sy-Changco, Chanthika Pompitakpan, Ramendra Singh, Celia M. Bonilla, (2011) “ Managerial insights into sachet marketing strategies and popularity in the Philippines”, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, Vol. 23 Iss: 5, pp. 755-772
- Singh, R. and Sy-Changco, J.A. (2008). Mobile Text Messaging by Young Students and Assertion of their Social Identity. Proceedings of the Academy of International Business Southeast Asia Regional Conference. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Sy-Changco, J.A. and Singh R. (2008). HK Disneyland vs. Ocean Park: A Case Study on Chinese Tourists’ Behavior and Disneyland’s Internationalization Strategy Using I-R Framework. Proceedings of World Cultural Tourism Conference. Seoul, Korea.
- Sy-Changco, J. A. and Souchon, A.L. (2008). Export Memory: A Preliminary Investigation into its Quality, Use , and Links to Export Performance. Proceedings of 50th Academy of International Business Conference, Milan, Italy.
- Sy-Changco, J.A.(2007). HK Disneyland vs. Ocean Park: A Case Study on the Impact of Mainland Chinese Tourists’ Behavior. Proceedings of the Academy of International Business Southeast Asia Regional Conference. Hangzhou, China.
- 2007, The Links and Gaps in Philippine Business Process, Tenth International Entrepreneurship Conference Proceedings, Los Angeles, California, USA
- 2007, The Phenomenon of Sachet Marketing: Lessons to be Learned from the Philippines, American Marketing Association Educators’ Summer Conference 2007 Proceedings Washington, DC, US
- 2005, Business Ethics in a Global Economy: The Role of Study Abroad Programs Academy of International Business Southeast Asia Regional Conference Proceedings, Manila
- 2005, Quality of Export Memory Content: A Conceptual Framework, Co-authorship, Journal of Marketing Management, UK
- 2004, Antecedents to Export Memory: A Preliminary Study of Export Decision Makers, Co-Authorship, Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference Proceedings, Wellington, New Zealand, Proceedings
- 2003, Quality of Export Memory Content: Conceptualization and Key Outcomes, Co-Authorship, Academy of Marketing Conference, Birmingham, UK
- 2002, Lord’s Stow Bakery, Co-Authorship, Services Marketing in Asia, Managing People, Technology and Strategy, Prentice Hall (Book)
- 2001, Lord Stow’s Bakery, Co-Authorship, Business Strategy in Asia: A Casebook, Thomson Learning, (Book)
- 2000, Lord Stow’s Bakery, Co-Authorship, Asian Case Research Journal, John Wiley and Sons, Asia Ltd.
- 2000, Lord Stow’s Bakery: An International Case Study on Macau, PRC, Philippine Service Exports: Present and Future Prospects, Author, Academy of International Business, Northeast Regional Meeting, Ithaca, New York.
- 2000, Growth of Service Exports: The Philippine Case, Author, SMEs in a global economy conference, Proceedings, Australia.
- 2000, Service Exports: The Case of the Philippines, Author, Business and Economics International Society, Conference, Los Angeles, USA
- 1999, What the West Can Learn from the East, Author, Business and Higher Education, Conference Proceedings, New Zealand
- 1999, Internationalizing Entrepreneurship from Macau: A Case Study, Author, International, Entrepreneurship, Book. Singapore.
- 1999, Lord Stow’s Bakery: A Case in International Entrepreneurship, Author, Conference Proceedings, France
- 1988, Sources of Credit for Small Businesses and the Informal Sector, Co-author with Ramon Quesada, 1988 Mid-year Briefing, CRC, Philippines
- Sy-Changco, J. A., Agapito, C., and Singh, R. (2013), “Entrepreneurial Competence and Institutional Heritage: Their Impact on Business Process Outsourcing in the Philippines,” in The Process of Internationalization in Emerging SMEs and Emerging Economies, McGill International Entrepreneurship Series, edited by Hamid Etemad, Edgar Elgar Publishing, 281-302.
- Sy-Changco,J.A. and Singh, R. (2013) “HK Disneyland: Chinese Tourists’ Behavior and Disneyland’s Internationalization Strategy” (A case study in chapter 4 Global Marketing, 1st edition, authored by Ilan Alon and Eugene Jaffe, McGraw-Hill, 85-89.
- Sephanie U Si Man and Josepph Sy-Changco (2016), “Better for World, Better for Firm? A Study on Green Demarketing Strategy from Customers’ Perspectives”,proceedings of Australia-New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference,, (ANZMAC), Christchurch, New Zealand, December 5 – 7, 2016, p. 121-128.
- Chuhong Lu and Joseph Sy-Changco (2016), “Why Go Green: Factors Affecting the Green Purchase Behavior of Macau Youngsters”, proceedings of Australia-NewZealand Marketing Academy Conference,, (ANZMAC), Christchurch, New Zealand, December 5 – 7, 2016, p. 121-128.
- Pornpitakpan, Chanthika, Qiuling Li, Joseph A. Sy-Changco, & Junsong Chen (2016). The Chinese’s Buying Criteria for Consumer Products. Paper (MS0068) presented at the 2016 Academy of International Business Southeast Asia Regional Conference: Connectivity and Prosperity: ASEAN Economic Community and China’s Belt and Road Initiative. Conference hosted by (a) Hong Kong Institute of Business Studies, Lingnan University, Hong Kong, China and (b) School of Business, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, Guangzhou, China; Conference held at Easeland Hotel, Guangzhou, China, December 2 – 4, 2016.
- Pornpitakpan, Chanthika, Qiuling Li, Joseph A. Sy-Changco, & Junsong Chen (2016). Relationships Between Sachet-Product Usage/Attitudes and Consumer Characteristics. aper presented at the 38th ISMS (INFORMS Society for Marketing Science) Marketing Science Conference 2016.
- Hughes, P, Souchon A.L., Boso N., Nemkova, E., Hultman, H., Yeboah, A. and Sy-Changco, J. (2015), Quadratic Effects of Export Decision-making on Innovation Orientation: Evidence from Chinese Exporting Firms, proceedings of Australi-New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC), Sydney, Australia, December 2-5, 2015.
- Pornpitakpan, Chanthika, Qiuling Li, Joseph A. Sy-Changco, & Junsong Chen (2015). The unpopularity of sachet marketing in China: Perspectives from managers and consumers. In Kishwar Joonas, Klaus-Peter Wiedmann, Mohd Ridzuan Bin Darun, & Zafar U. Ahmed (Eds.), Advances in Global Business Research: Refereed Proceedings of the 12th Annual World Congress of the Academy for Global Business Advancement (AGBA) (Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 57 – 58). Kuantan
- Sachet Marketing, funded by the Research Committee of the University of Macau, 2007, Principal Investigator
- “Field” and “Habitus”: An Exploratory Qualitative Study of Mobile SMS Communication Patterns Among University Students in China, India, and the Philippines, funded by the Research Committee of the University of Macau, 2008, Principal Investigator
- Phi Kappa Phi International Honor Society
- Pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society
- U.P. Junior Marketing Association
- U.P. Junior Finance Association
- U.P. MBA Alumni Association
- Hong Kong and Macau Association for European Studies