Prof. Cheris Wing Chi CHOW
Associate Professor in Marketing
Faculty of Business Administration
University of Macau, E22
Avenida da Universidade, Taipa, Macau, China
- Ph.D in Marketing, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2009
- M.Phil in Marketing, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2004
- B.B.A. (Hons) in Marketing, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2000
- Head, Centre of Business & Logistics, Hong Kong College of Technology (2006 – 2009)
- Lecturer (PT), City University of Hong Kong (2006 – 2009)
- Media Planning, Universal McCann (member agency of HK4As), Hong Kong (2000 – 2002)
- Undergraduate Courses
- Consumer Behavior (MKTG340)
- Entertainment Marketing (MKTG425)
- Brand Management (MKTG432)
- Principles of Marketing (MKTG202)
- Integrated Marketing Communications (MKTG411)
- Postgraduate Courses
- Buyer Behavior (MKTG730)
- Service Marketing
- Cross-Cultural Advertising
- Consumer Behavior and Advertising Management
- Abusive supervision: Investigations on its antecedents and its impacts on teams, funded by University of Macau, 2014-2017, Co-Principal Investigator
- The Fit Effect of Consumer’s Temporal Focus and Temporal Framing on Fear Appeal Message in Attitudes toward Environmental Sustainability Strategy, funded by University of Macau, 2013-2014, Principal Investigator
- Customer Flattery with Services People: Dual Attitudes, Satisfaction, and Self-Esteem, funded by University of Macau, funded by University of Macau, 2011-2012, Principal Investigator
- The Role of Temporal Framing and Affect Valence on Advertising Effectiveness, funded by University of Macau, 2011-2012, Co-Principal Investigator
- The Effect of Regulatory Fit on Attitudes and Behavior of Internal Customers, funded by University of Macau, 2010-2011, Principal Investigator
- Best Paper Award, 2011 Annual Conference of China Marketing Science
- Best Track Paper Award, Advertising and Promotion 2010 (by American Marketing Association)
- Loi, R., Xu, A. J., Chow, C. W. C., & Kwok, J. M. L. (In press). Customer misbehavior and store managers’ work-to-family enrichment: The moderated mediation effect of work meaningfulness and organizational affective commitment. Human Resource Management.
- Lai, J. Y. M., Chow, C. W. C., & Loi, R. (In press). The interactive effect of LMX and LMX differentiation on followers’ job burnout: Evidence from tourism industry in Hong Kong. International Journal of Human Resource Management.
- Luk, Chung Leung, Chow, C. W. C., Wan, W. W. N., Lai, J. Y. M., Fu, I. S. F., & Fong, C. P. S. (2017). An institutional perspective on modernization and sex-appeal advertising. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 29(2), 220-238.
- Chan, I. C. C., Lam, L. W., Chow, C. W., Fong, L. H. N., & Law, R. (2017). The effect of online reviews on hotel booking intention: The role of reader-reviewer similarity. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 66, 54-65.
- Chow, C. W., Lai, J. Y., & Loi, R. (2015). Motivation of travel agents’ customer service behavior and organizational citizenship behavior: The role of leader-member exchange and internal marketing orientation. Tourism Management, 48, 362-369.
- Lai, J. Y., Lam, S. S., & Chow, C. W. (2015). What good soldiers are made of: the role of personality similarity. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 30(8), 1003-1018.
- Wan, W. W., Luk, C. L., & Chow, C. W. (2014). Consumer responses to sexual advertising: The intersection of modernization, evolution, and international marketing. Journal of International Business Studies, 45(6), 751-782.
- Wang, Xuehua, Cheris W. C. Chow, Zhilin Yang, and Jennifer Y. M. Lai (2013) “Market Signals: Website Investment and Physical Store Existence”, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 94-113
- Wang, Xuehua, Cheris W. C. Chow, and C. L. Luk (2013) “Does Service Employee Arrogance Discourage Sales of Luxury Brands in Emerging Economies?”, Psychology & Marketing, Vol. 30, No. 10, pp. 918-933.
- Lau, V. P., Y. Y. Wong, and Cheris W. C. Chow (2013) “Turning the tables: Mitigating effects of proactive personality on the relationships between work-to-family conflict and work- and non work-related outcomes”, Career Development International, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 503-520.
- Wang, Xuehua, Cheris W.C. Chow, and Zhilin Yang (2012) “A two-path model on the effects of positivity of and empathy reflected by online reviews: A choice mechanism perspective”, International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 260-277.
- Wan, Wendy W.N., C.L. Luk, Kim-Shyan Fam, Peiguan Wu, and Cheris W.C. Chow (2012) “Interpersonal Relationship, Service Quality, Seller Expertise: How Important are They to Adolescent Consumers?”, Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 365-377.
- Luk, C.L., Wendy W.N. Wan, Raymond P.M. Chow, Cheris W.C. Chow, Kim-Shyan Fam, Peiguan Wu and Sarang Kim (2012) “Consumers’ Views of Feng Shui: Antecedents and Behavioral Consequences”, Psychology and Marketing, Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 488-501.
- Guo Guoqing, Fanny S.L. Cheung, Wing-Fai Leung and Cheris W.C. Chow (2008) “Attitude towards TV Advertising: Cross Cultural Study”, Journal of Chinese Marketing, Vol. 1, No.1, pp. 60-66.
- Yau, Oliver H M, W.F. Leung, Fanny S.L. Cheung and Cheris W.C.Chow (2007), “SARS versus the Asian Financial Crisis”, Harmony versus Conflict in Asian Business, Palgrave Macmillian Book, pp. 300-329.
- Chow, Cheris W.C. and Luk, C.L. (2006), “Effects of Comparative Advertising in High and Low Cognitive Elaboration Conditions”, Journal of Advertising, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 55-67.
- Guo Guoqing , Fanny S L, Cheung, Wing-Fai Leung and Cheris Chow (2006), “Attitudes Towards Internet Advertising: A Cross-Cultural Study”, International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising, Vol. 3, No.2, pp. 158-176.
- Wan, Wendy W N, C. L. Luk and Cheris W. C. Chow (2005), “Customer’s Adoption of Banking Channels in Hong Kong”, International Journal of Bank Marketing, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 255-272.
- Wang, Xuehua, Cheris W.C. Chow, and Zhilin Yang (2011), “How Positivity of and Empathy Reflected by Online Reviews Influence Online Purchase Intentions: A Choice Mechanism Perspective”, 2011 Annual Conference of China Marketing Science, 19-22 Aug, (Guangzhou, China).
- Cheris W.C. Chow, Jennifer Y.M. Lai, and Jonathan M.L. Kwok (2011), “Emotional Contagion in Travel and Tourism Industry: The Moderating Role of Trust in Leaders and Leader-member Exchange”, EMAC 2011 Conference, 21-24 May, (Slovenia, Europe).
- Cheris W.C. Chow, Jonathan M.L. Kwok, C.L. Luk, and Jennifer Y.M. Lai (2010), “Improving Job Behavior of Service Employees by Regulatory Fit: The Mediating Role of Leader-Member Exchange and Moderating Role of Emotional Intelligence”, AAOM 2010 Conference, 12-14 Dec, (Macau, China).
- Luk, C.L., Cheris W.C. Chow, and Wendy W.N. Wan (2010), “Effects of Institutional Change towards Modernization on Consumer’s Responses to Sex-Appeal Advertising”, AMA 2010 Conference, 13-16 Aug, (Boston, US).
- Luk, C.L., Cheris W.C. Chow, and Wendy W.N. Wan (2008), “An Institutional Theory of Attitudes towards Sex-Appeal Advertising”, EAMSA 2008 Conference, 5 Dec, (Kyoto, Japan).
- Guo Guoqing, Fanny S.L. Cheung, Wing-Fai Leung and Cheris W.C. Chow (2007), “Attitude towards TV Advertising: Cross Cultural Study”, 2007 International Symposium on Marketing, 16-17 Jun, (PRC).
- Guo Guoqing, Fanny S.L. Cheung, Wing-Fai Leung and Cheris W.C. Chow (2007), “Attitude towards Internet Advertising: A Cross Cultural Study”, 2007 NSF (National Natural Science Foundation of China) of China Key Marketing Program Forum, (Dalian, China)
- Luk, C.L., Cheris W.C. Chow and Wendy W.N. Wan (2006), “An Institutional Theory of Attitudes towards Sex-Appeal Advertising”, ANZMAC 2006 Conference, 4-6 Dec, (Brisbane).
- Luk C.L., Cheris W.C. Chow and Fanny S.L. Cheung (2006), “Effect of Institutionalization and Openness on Consumers’ Responses to Sex Appeal Advertising”, the Academy of World Business, Marketing and Management Development 2006 Conference, July, (Paris, France).
- Yau, Oliver H M, W.F. Leung, Fanny S.L. Cheung and Cheris W.C.Chow (2004), “SARS versus Asian Financial Crisis”, EAMSA Annual Conference – Harmony v Conflict: Euro-Asian Management in a Turbulent Era, 3-6 Nov, (Hong Kong).
- Chow, Cheris W.C. and Luk, C.L. (2004), “Automatic Processing of Brand Comparison Information in Advertisement”, Hawaii International Conference on Business, 21-24 Jun, (Honolulu, Hawaii).
- Chartered Marketer, The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) U.K. (2010-2012)